Monday, August 10, 2009

Minty Fresh

If you're anything like me you have a gazillion online accounts for more or less every website you frequent. Financially speaking, I think I have at least 10 different login/password combinations for everything from my car to our mortgage to the water/trash/sewer provider from eight years ago. There are some services like Password Wallet that will keep these straight for you, but I wanted to see all my accounts in one place.

Enter Mint.com. I had heard about this site from some friends and wanted to scope it out. It took a bit of time, but within about an hour, I had all of our assets, investments, debts, and spending trends in front of me in one handy place! It's particularly useful if you follow Dave Ramsey's Debt Snowball plan (highly recommended by Blog Soup), as it lists your debts in order from smallest to largest. Even more convenient is their budgeting tool. You can get extremely specific with what you spend in each category monthly (alcohol at the wine store ::cough cough:: what???), and set a budget accordingly. Last but not least there are friendly reminder emails letting you know when some of your bills are due.
Similar products like Quicken are popular as well; however Quicken wouldn't sync with my mortgage servicer so that was a big negative and I couldn't feasibly use their service longterm.
Since signing up I have to say I'm in love! Play around with it yourself and see if it works for you.

0 Say It Loud & Proud: