Monday, August 31, 2009

Georgia Top 10

Time for a very important announcement: As of October 1, 2009, Blog Soup will be relocating to Kansas City! This is a super exciting move for us because it means we're returning home. Atlanta has been good to us for the past few years, but our hearts are in Kansas City and we're so happy to be headed back to the midwest. Blog Soup won't be changing much... I'll still post restaurant reviews, recipes, home decor updates and more. Don't forget, I now have this plain ol' house to spruce up! The next several months are going to be an adventure in home decor, indeed.

Because of this big change, I thought it appropriate to post a Georgia Top 10 list. Here are some of the things we've enjoyed most about The Peach State.
10. Concerts available to us in Atlanta. Since we've been here, there's been no shortage of great entertainment available on any given day. My favorite concert was probably Michael Buble at the Fox Theater.
9. Fried Chicken. Not only is it one of my favorite foods, but it's available here in plentiful quantities. The best, in my opinion, can be found at JCT Kitchen, Mary Mac's and The Colonnade. Publix gets an honorable mention. I will definitely miss shopping at Publix after we're gone. It is really a fantastic grocery store, they epitomize customer service.
8. Savannah. One of America's great smaller cities, Savannah is only a 4 hour drive from Atlanta and is absolutely chock full of great things to do. The trolley tours, historic district and Forsyth Park are among my activities of choice.
7. Dunwoody. We moved up to the burbs about a year ago, and even though it's truly the definition of suburbia, I really like it. It's convenient, safe, and close to Buckhead and Midtown.
6. Springtime in February. I'm sure I'll be cursing our move when I'm scraping ice off my car this coming winter.
5. Georgia Wine Country. There are some really fantastic wineries just an hour north of Atlanta in the Dahlonega area. I particularly liked Three Sisters.
4. Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. True, it might be the busiest airport in the world, but you can get a direct flight to anywhere.
3. Virginia Higland. In my opinion, this is one of the coolest neighborhoods in Atlanta. We spent our first year in the neighborhood and loved it. A great place to live if you're young and want to be close to the city.
2. Inman Park and the Inman Park Festival. By FAR this is my favorite neighborhood in Atlanta. Gorgeous historic homes, great restaurants... tons of personality. Take the tour of homes during the IP Festival in the spring -- totally worth every penny. Don't miss Fritti and Sotto Sotto restaurants while you're there.
1. Fantastic Restaurants. Being the capital of the South, there is no shortage of amazing places to dine in ATL. We've had many a tasty meal here, several of which have been documented in this blog. We're trying a few more places before we go, namely Canoe, Woodfire Grill and Rathbun's.
Edit: 8/31/09, 10:43pm: This post wouldn't be complete without a shout out to Trader Joe's and Ikea! Oh the joys of living in a big city, how I will miss thee.
Last but certainly not least, I must say that we are going to miss the friends we've made here more than anything. It's hard to make new friends when you're new in town and don't know anyone. We've had some of the kindest people take us under their wing and I don't want to leave them. A huge THANK YOU to all of our Atlanta friends - we will miss you!!

4 Say It Loud & Proud:

Mrs. Fabulous said...

Great post!

I am SO excited for you to move back to Missouri! We all missed you guys!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have good friends in KC (well, Lenexa, KS, to be accurate). Nice place to visit and the steaks can be remarkable there.

FnS.

Jagged Diary said...

I'm so excited that you are moving back! KC has missed you guys :)

Emily said...

My husband and I dined at Canoe about two years ago. We had some of the best corn chowder we had ever tasted. Truly fabulous.