Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sushi Xanadu

Bluefin Sushi has just opened up right across the street from my office, adjacent to Cafe Intermezzo. The space that used to be City Garden Chinese has transformed into a sleek, shiny new sushi paradise. (Please excuse picture quality - taken from my phone.)

The selection on the menu is very extensive, from traditional rolls to BF Premium rolls with inventive ingredients. They also offer a selection of salads, pizzas, soups and grilled items. I went for lunch with my coworkers and was delighted to see that they have a Bluefin lunch special for the low low price of $9.95. This is a you-pick-two type of concept, with about 18-20 different selections of sushi and grilled items. I had the Sundae California Roll and the seared tuna with sesame seeds and peanut sauce. For 10 bucks, the portions were enormous, something you don't typically see at a Japanese restaurant. The kitchen was having a bit of an issue with the timing of the grilled items along with the sushi, namely because everything is made fresh to order and none of the rolls are premade (to avoid seaweed sogginess.) Both of my dishes were excellent, and I had plenty leftover. The tuna was perfectly rare in the middle and peanut sauce is one of my favorites, so I couldn't go wrong there. The Sundae California Roll was your traditional Cali roll topped with a light crab salad and ruby red fish eggs. Quite good.

Alvarado was generous enough to let me try a piece of his hurricane roll, which was equally outstanding. I wish I could remember all the ingredients, but it was a tempura roll topped with a creamy spicy sauce... and who doesn't like tempura.

I'm sure I'll be spending many a lunch/happy hour at Bluefin. While we were there, we saw three other tables of folks that work for our stations, so I'm sure we'll keep the place in business, at least for awhile! I haven't been able to find a website for Bluefin yet, but as soon as it becomes available, I'll link you up.

1 Say It Loud & Proud:

Anonymous said...

I drive by it every day and was wondering how it would be. Hope to try it this week.